Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Seven Years ago today...

Much to our surprise, on May 31, 2003, Jason and I found ourselves heading to Rex Hospital for what appeared to be labor signs for our first child.  It was a surprise because Jenna was not due until June 26th.  I had already siked myself up for a long, drawn out labor that would begin probably 7 to 10 days past my due date.  Instead, we were surprised with a little girl, Jenna Catherine, born nearly 4 weeks early - only 5 hours after my first sign of labor!  And she was born on her Grandfather Burgin's birthday!



I remember having a near panic attack when the nurse said something to me about changing her diaper.  In context, I had spent hundreds of hours babysitting and even worked as a part-time nanny in college - plenty of diaper changing experience.  However, for some reason, the thought of having to be responsible for her diapers, knowing how often to change them, and how to know when she was wet or dirty almost put me over the edge!  It's funny how our minds work, especially on very little sleep.  Thankfully, all of those early parenting jitters worked their way out without too much trouble.

God has blessed us with a wonderful daughter.  She is tender hearted, caring, thoughtful, mild-tempered and always so helpful around our home.  She has been a wonderful student to teach and always excited to try any craft she can get her hands on!  Currently, Jenna is involved with swimming, ballet and will begin piano lessons again this week.  Piano seems to be her favorite activity so far and she has even taken to transposing her practice songs into different keys to see which sounds best! 

Here are a few pics of Jenna to show how she has grown these last seven years.




My first Mother's Day with Jenna.


Go Heels!


She has always been a very sweet big sister!

From a very early age, she would sit and color for over an hour!  She still loves to draw, color and any other craft available.


Baby brother #2.  I asked if she thought we should have more children in our family or if we should stick with three.  She said we should have a girl.  When I told her only God chooses whether we have a boy or girl, she seemed a little less certain about taking the chance for another brother!


We were sad to leave her previous Ballet teacher in Raleigh, but we have found what seems to be a great studio in Brussels.


Last October, Jenna won a coloring contest at the North Carolina State Fair!  She received this T-shirt as her prize.


All dressed up with her friend, Aubrey.


Teaching the little guy a thing or two about the piano.

Enjoying the view at the top of the Eiffel Tower!

We love you, Jenna!  Happy Birthday!


4 comments:

Elisa said...

Happy late birthday, Jenna! We miss you and love you....from the winns!

Unknown said...

We miss jenna here! Happy Birthday! Glad to have known her pretty much all her life..I think I met you when she was like 5 or 6 weeks old!

Sara said...

Thanks, Ladies. We miss both of you! Gab - I think the Newtons need to plan another trip to Europe! We would love to have you come visit.

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day, Jenna!

Zinnada<><