Friday, January 21, 2011

January in Brussels

Things have been quiet on the blogging front for the past few weeks as we settle into a new year.  Jenna and Ethan were on Christmas break until January 10th.  Thankfully, they jumped right back into their schedule without too much difficulty. 

The weekend before the kids started back to school, Jenna and I had a girls day shopping trip with our friends who live in Waterloo.  One of the interesting things we learned when we arrived in Brussels is that businesses are only allowed to put their merchandise on sale for two months a year...January and July.  It never occured to me that a government would regulate when a store could put it's own merchandise on sale, but such is life in Belgium. 

My friend and I, took the girls to Aachen just over the border in Germany for a day of chatting and shopping.  Jenna and her friend had a wonderful time giggling, hiding in clothes racks and patiently waiting for the stop by the toy store on our way out of the city. 


Jenna and her friend showing off their slinkies they bought with their own hard earned money! 

We do not have any big trips planned until March when our good friends from NC are coming to visit.  Until then, we will take it a weekend at a time as the weather here is so unpredictable - well, I take that back it is typically predictably cold, rainy and muddy.  It is challenging enough to tromp through European cities with our three little ones in tow on a nice day, but add damp feet, cold hands and tired legs to the mix and you can see where I'm going with this.  However, we were blessed last Sunday with a beautiful afternoon - clear skies and weather in the mid-50's.  After church and lunch, we settled Drew in for a nap and the rest of the family spent at least 3 hours outside.  After cleaning the van, Jason and I did some yard work for an hour or so and also spent some time riding bikes with the kids. 

If the weather clears up again, we are hoping to make a few day trips during these winter weekends.  But for now, we are busy scheduling out all of Jason's vacation time from March through December.  We are currently working on a 10 day road trip in April to Prague, Austria, Germany and possibly Switzerland.  If anyone has suggestions of places to see, eat or stay I would love to hear them! 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Have fun planning your trips! Our plans are slightly less interesting, a road trip up the east coast...

AGoodKindOfCrazy said...

Were the sales amazing?!?!? :)

The 10day trip sounds awesome! Frank was born in Ulm Germany and raised in Berlin, so if you make it through there let us know how you liked it!

Sara said...

Kryste - we were able to find some good deals, and the best part was just hanging out and only have the older girls who get along really well. Great memories.
Jason and I actually went to Ulm in 2002. The main thing in Ulm I remember is a HUGE cathedral - I think the one there has the largest spire in Europe. Kind of strange because it was this really old church surrounding by all modern buildings from the rebuild after WWII.

Sandy said...

I've been following you (from Raleigh) for a long time. Twi yrs. ago my daughter & I went to Rothenburg, Germany (with my son who was stationed in Stuttgart @ the time). We stayed only 1 night & the next day, but wished we had scheduled 2 days there instead of going on to Hamburg! It was so charming! We also really enjoyed Salzburg, Austria (again wishing we had planned more than the one night & day).
Hope this helps & if you want any more info, leave me a message (Seasoned-Sister.blogspot.com)