Friday, February 4, 2011

Mon Anniversaire

Yesterday was my first of two European birthdays!  It was a wonderful birthday thanks to my thoughtful husband, children and a wonderful friend who volunteered to watch the kids so Jason and I could go to dinner (only the second time since our arrival almost 11 months ago!). 
In the morning, I was greeted with four birthday cards - all created by our sweet Jenna!  Here is my favorite one:

It was a wedding card that she found in a variety box of cards I have.  She told me she snuck down early one morning and looked through the cards to find one! 

However, this is the cutest part of the card.  On the inside she marked out and rewrote the card to change it from a wedding card to a birthday card!  Jenna and Ethan also spent almost two hours the night before my birthday hiding out making beaded jewelry for me. 

Jason surprised me with a beautiful new silk scarf and winter hat.  It is a barret style and I was a bit apprehenive at first.  However, after a little trial and error, I think I can pull it off.  He had also arranged to have one of my friends watch the children during the evening so we could go to dinner. 

Here we are ready for a night on the town.  We actually took the metro downtown to dinner.  I doubt I will have many birthdays where I use the subway to get to dinner! 
Jason made reservations at a restaurant downtown called Belga Queen.  It is located in a renovated bank building.  It is interesting with a modern flair, set in a century old bank atmosphere. 

 The picture below is taken from the steps leading up from the underground bank vault that has been converted into a bar/cigar lounge.  It was unique with the one foot thick vault door still attached and safety deposit boxes lining the walls. 

My delicious birthday dinner.  The steak was pretty good for Belgian beef - they are not known for their meats around here!  It is also always interesting to me when upscale restaurants serve "frites" or fries with the meal. 

The couple sitting next to us were kind enough to snap a quick picture of us at dinner. 
After dinner, we wanted to walk around a bit, but the temps had dropped.  So we set the timer on the camer and took a quick photo of us at the entrance to the metro. 

And finally, my dear friend, Amy, who made the whole evening possible.  It is a true friend who will come put all three of our hoodlums to bed, clean my kitchen and bring me a beautiful necklace for my birthday!  She also has the sweetest 11 year old daughter, who all my kids love.  They were all three disappointed when they realized she wasn't coming with her Mom because it was a school night!
This year on my birthday, I have found myself pondering the blessing of friendship, family and love.  What an amazing gift from God - the gift of relationship.  I am so incredibly blessed with a loving family and supportive friends who God placed in my life to travel this road together. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, sweet friend! I'm glad you had such a great day!!

Sara said...

Thanks, Ash!! We'll have to catch up soon. I'd love to hear all the details coming together for your little girl!