This weekend, we were blessed with fantastic weather on Saturday. It was predicted most of the week that the weather would be nice for the weekend, but I really don't trust the meteorologist around here. Nothing personal, but probably 80% of the time the forecast is way off, so I usually don't bother checking. My typical M.O. these days is assume cold and rain, then when the weather is actually nice it is such a splendid surprise. Seriously, I'm not a cynic...just being realistic!
This time, the weather guys had it right so we made plans to go to Villers Abbey in the commune of Villers-la-Ville, Belgium. This little gem is located about 40 minutes south of Brussels. The abbey was founded in the 12th Century and remained a functioning abbey until 1796 when it was abandonded during the French Revolution.
Here is Drew giving his best Buzz Lightyear impersonation - arms raised, prentending he is about to take off flying.
Here are a few of our favorite shots from the day:
The interior of the main church building. The circular windows were placed specifically to create patterns on the floor that would change with the seasons.
The picture below shows the entrance to the main cathedral on the left.
And finally, the trio. They are becoming expert travelers and it was such a joy to see them exploring and enjoying learning about a different aspect of European life.
We would highly recommend Villers Abbey and can't wait to go back when it is warmer this Spring!




1 comment:
I'm amazed at how many great places you guys manage to visit! The kids are such troopers and always look like they're having such a great time. Oh, and I can totally relate to the America Store excitement in the last post. We've had times when an $8 box of cereal is totally worth the cost. :)
Post a Comment