Saturday, April 23, 2011

Renewal and Reflection on New Life

We just returned this evening from 8 nights and almost 2,500 kilometers of traveling! Our journey took us through five countries, up and down mountains, through farmland, into cities and everything in between. We were blessed with amazing weather and a refreshing time of renewal and reconnection for our family.


We were awe-struck by the beauty and majesty of God’s creation and humbled that such a mighty creator would look upon us with such lavish grace.  We spoke often with the children of God's boundless love and the incomprehensible gift through Christ that we will celebrate tomorrow, on Easter.

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.  Isaiah 53:5

We reminded our children that it is through no good work of our own, but only through God's unmerited favor that we are drawn to Him and can experience foregiveness and a new life full of hope. 

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly...  But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  Romans 5:6-8

Now we celebrate an empty tomb, a risen Savior and the promise to live a life with the opportunity for true peace, hope and joy if we will only put our trust in Him.  It is not promised to be a life free from trials, struggles and hardships, quite the opposite, but it is a promise that we will have a friend who sticks closer than a brother to walk along with us. 

So often, I feel that modern Christians have lost sight of the true gospel - one of humility, grace and compassion...such as Christ offers to each of us, despite our faults and continued short-comings.  We are side-tracked by politics and current "hot topics" and so quick to point the finger at what everyone else is doing wrong.  Grace was provided once, for all, and we should pray for those around, both those we love and those we disagree with, that God would soften their hearts to his truth.

Click HERE to hear a song, by Stuart Townend, that I have thought of often as we approach Easter Sunday.  I have copied the lyrics below. 

How Deep The Father's Love For Us 

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocing voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom 






No comments: